Thursday, 21 October 2010

of Walnuts and their ink

I couldn't believe that these were walnuts. Where is the nut? I had to open one, taste it, yuk! and even then I could only see a pip. Fortunately Richard and Astrid could see the nut. A week later my finger nails are still stained! very embarrasing at work. So the old cog wheels start turning and I'm thinking, temporary tattoos.





Astrid and I had lots of fun picking loads of walnuts over a couple of weeks. We must have got almost double what you see here. This time though we collected the flesh as well.





Richard suggested that I look up walnuts on the internet to see if anyone had made tattoos from them. Well of course they had. So I found a recipe for walnut ink and followed it as best I could. Boil up the flesh for 2 hours, leave overnight and strain. Add denatured alcohol (had to look that up too, it's surgical spirits to you and I) to preserve and there you have it.



Astrid enjoys writing with it. I haven't tried tattooing myself yet but shall also give some to a couple of people at work for their opinion.



The nuts themselves are a learning curve too as we lost many of them to a type of fungus. We tried drying them on these trays, which Astrid prayed over (no she's actually pretending to be a DJ). This didn't help much. So now they are back on the farm drying on an old fire guard. Lets see how many survive.

No comments:

Post a Comment