Excuse my hair, it's permanently windswept up there. You can see the beans for yourselves here. It doesn't look like much of a gem harvest but that was one of my first pickings showing the biggest at the time. I've given lots of gems away. None of the English people I gave them to had had them before so I had to tell them how to cook them. Looks like Englsh slugs and snails don't know them either. Well, I won't tell if you don't. Mind you these country snails also don't seem to know that they're not supposed to like copper. The other day I had a snail head straight for some copper tape and walk all over it. Tut tut these uneducated creatures. Back to the people. All those who have replied about their gem eating experience enjoyed them. They are the best that I remember gems to be, though I say so myself. I also gave some to some South Africans who all enjoyed them. As one chap said they were soft and tastey. His daughter remembered them from SA and hadn't enjoyed them but she enjoyed these and ate the skin too. I gave a couple to a SA surgeon I work with on Wednesday mornings, yesterday. He also grows some vegetables. It was on the news recently that this year has seen a record number of people growing their own veg. At work there is a lot of talk about what is growing and what not and who is growing what. The other day we had a patient who was having a local anaesthetic. We chatted a bit and found that everyone in the theatre grew some of their own veg..
Above is the mulberry tree with a pumpkin growing round it from the left and dock and tomatoe growing on the right. In front is a little ornament given to us by a chap who is staying with us for a while, working with Richard and waiting for his Canadian work visa to come through. He and his wife are emigrating. It is a little fairy thing, cute. The tree hides three big pumpkins which are beginning to orange up. Shall take photo's of them when I pick them. I've already made five pumpkin pies and one pumpkin curry (shall try another tomorrow). Haven't got round to soup yet. Those were made with not fully ripe pumpkins partly because I coudn't wait, and even wondered if they ever would get orange, but also one I didn't know whether it was a pumpkin or not. At one point I thought it might be a melon, then I decided it wasn't and so made the pie.
Yes we have BEEEEZZzzz, six hives! Five from the apiary Rich ordered ten from and one from a woman at work whose partner keeps them. It has apparently been a difficult year for bees. Rich keeps a close eye on them and worries whether they'll last the winter or not. Poor chap gets down sometimes as things have turned out more difficult and expensive than he anticipated but I try to keep his hopes up. It is worth keeping up hope, as I did when I planted all the veg, because it will work out even if it takes longer. In the end, as I type, I'm thinking even if the hive's don't grow in strength and number as quickly as Richard hopes and however hard it is for us it will be just as difficult for anyone else, so it is worth carrying on.
This blog was meant to be just about the farm but since only family and friends are to read it I can change it and make it anything I choose. Really I just didn't want to be repeating myself in emails. Astrid and my holiday this year was Pyrites craft camp. We did stained glass. Above is Astrids' piece and below I am working on mine. I had had the idea for mine since the first camp we went on two years ago, so to actually create it was very satisfying. I'll try to remember to take a photo of the completed piece and you can tell me what it makes you think of.
No comments:
Post a Comment