These last couple of weeks have dragged a bit as far as the farm is concerned. Two weeks ago Richard went up to make sure that the generator was delivered to the farm. That mission was successful, at last. The generator, or jenni as we are beginning to call it, came in it's own little van. Rich has since found that it is leaking oil and may not be much good.
I went up the following Thursday, after dropping Astrid off for a sleep over at a friends place which is literally down the road from the farm. I was upset and a bit angry to find the gates to the property swinging open and noone around, except the pigs. I felt that the folks who kept the pigs now just didn't care what happened to the place or if someone came in and took the jenni or decided to squat on the place. However they may have just come and gone and be about to return. Still I don't like gates wide open with 'sold by...' signs outside, almost advertising that the place is now empty. I was glad to see the gates closed on Friday when I drove past having picked Astrid up.
Mark and Sue have made an offer on another piece of land, bigger than ours. So they may have a place of their own to rear their pigs on soon, which is good news. They moved their pigs from Southside last weekend, also taking their jallopy green van (whew). We went up again on Sunday to see whether the pigs and van were gone. Sham we found the big sow hemmed in by the van in a small area, probably waiting until the electric fencing was put up in the new stye.
Rich has bought a load of padlocks. He put the padlock and chains of the first two gates last Tuesday, before completion, but that was just a matter of paperwork really as there was no turning back. We were supposed to complete on Monday but the solicitor still had to get the go ahead from Rich and Rich was waiting to be told that the van was off the property. On Tuesday the solicitor found that there was still some type of covenant that had to be removed from when the farm was sold in November. On Wednesday our solicitor went to a funeral. Finally on Thursday after Astrid had spent 5 hours at a friends house and I had spent 4 hours mainly carting horse manure from the shed to (what was) the pig stye, Richard phoned and said we had completed. We celebrated by eating out at our favourite Chinese eating-house, yes that is basically what it is, an eating-house, cheap but cheerful and filling. Shall add photo of the occasion when I download them.
Yesterday Astrid, Megan ( a friend who had a sleep over here last night) and I went up again. After an hour and a half the girls were bored and I was tired of moveing still more manure, only managed three barrows full as opposed to about fifteen the day before. By this time anyway the huge pile of ironing left at home was shouting louder than the manure at the farm. I', not half was through the ironing yet and must pack for our craft camp starting tomorrow. I also want to pitch the tent today as I am working tomorrow morning and don't want to get to camp, possibly still and little late, and still have to pitch tent when I'm tired. Must do some shopping today as well so it's none stop.
Thanks for looking at this blog.
No comments:
Post a Comment