Saturday, 12 June 2010

Making a start

This is my second attempt to post something on this blog site of whose name I made but cannot access from outside my own email address, so I can not give this blog address to anyone else just yet. Anyway yes I am making a start on both the blog and trying to keep a diary of what is going on at Southside farm, even before it is in our name.

We visited the farm this afternoon, still had to climb over the gates. The caravan is still in the shed and the pigs are still there. The owner says he will bring the generator next weekend but I hope he realizes that the caravan needs to be moved first because I do not want the generator in the middle of the shed. As it is we can not access the end two doors because there is a pile of blocks, just one is vey heavy, blocking those doors.

On Monday Rich and I had forgotten to tell the childminder that Astrid needed to go to her for the day. Rich goes to take Astrid to the childminder who is not there so Rich had Astrid for most of the day. They spent a long time on the farm and found what must be the real spring. Rich showed it to me today. He put in a long stick, about 6 feet long, and it didn't reach the bottom. That is a great discovery as now we definitely have water for gardening, it just needs to be pumped uphill. I shall get the book on how to build a wind pump from the Green shop. That will be a good project. We also discovered some fruit trees. One looked like a pear tree the other a cherry. This is exciting for me as that is the main thing I want to do is to plant fruit and nut trees. Rich and I walked around together and discussed the place and where Rich will put the bees first. I also sat down a while and tried to identify some of the plants we have there. We have a lot of red and white clover and water dock, as well as some type of thistle, buttercups daisies and a type of birds-foot trefoil. Also loads of other stuff I still have to identify.

On the way to the farm we picked up a friend of Astrids who lives on the same road as the farm. The two girls played a while by the 'pond' but walked away after examining the spring with us. They wanted some privacy. After some time and after eating the fruit I had brought they both sat in the car and listened to Astrids ipod.

This morning we went to a place that sells bee keeping equipment. Rich bought stuff to make frames. This evening Astrid helped him glue the outside of the frames together and after supper I helped to thread some wire through them while Rich put in the foundation wax.

Lets see if this gets to were I want it to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment